Any commercial space located in a cool climate wouldn't be comfortable without the help of a furnace. You rely on your furnace to keep employees and customers comfortable, but no heating system is bulletproof. It's important that you are able to recognize the signs of some potentially dangerous heating problems so that you can have your furnace repaired before disaster strikes in your commercial space.
Modern furnaces are made from many different components. Each of these components has the potential to overheat when workloads increase or damage occurs. An overheating furnace can be a dangerous problem for any commercial building. One of the easiest ways to identify an overheating furnace is to use your nose. An electrical burning smell will be emitted from an overheating furnace. If you continue to run the furnace without addressing the cause of the overheating, you run the risk of starting an electrical fire in your commercial building. Shut your furnace down and call a qualified repair technician that's qualified in commercial heating services immediately if you catch a whiff of burning electrical elements coming from your commercial heating system.
Moisture plays an important role in the heating process. Humidity in the air can condense in your heating system. Should this moisture travel into your air ducts, large mold colonies can begin to form. Exposure to certain types of molds can be extremely detrimental to the health of your customers and employees. Mold problems can usually be identified by the musty odor they produce. You will detect a musty smell each time heated air is pushed through your vents as soon as mold begins to form inside your air ducts. An HVAC technician will need to clean all your air ducts thoroughly to eliminate any traces of mold, and the cause of the condensation can be repaired to prevent the mold from coming back.
Many commercial furnaces are fueled by natural gas. Natural gas has no detectable odor, so a special additive is mixed in with the gas to help make it easier for consumers to identify a gas leak. The additive that industry professionals use is mercaptan gas. The mercaptan gives off a smell that is reminiscent of rotten eggs. Gas leaks in your commercial space can lead to a dangerous buildup of natural gas. The smallest flame or spark could cause the gas pocket to explode, putting everyone in your commercial building at risk.
Monitor your furnace for signs of a gas leak and work with your HVAC technician to eliminate any leaks that develop over time.